Friday, January 23, 2015

To Be or Not to Be - Happy


Happiness- A state of well being and contentment.

Happiness is one of the most cherished and most mysterious of all human desires, therefore it completely fascinates me. It's been discussed for at least two thousand years starting with Greek philosophers, spiritual gurus and modern day psychology.

When asked the age old question, what is happiness? There will be a variety of answers from many different folks, but most will say that something, or someone they're  "attached" to is the reason for their happiness. But is happiness a permanent state? If you consider your partner your source of happiness, what happens if, or when the relationship ends? Or if it's your job, or money that brings you happiness, what if you lose them? Will you still remain happy?

I don't believe that happiness is a permanent state. I believe it is made up of sparkling moments of bliss and joy. I'm leary  of those who claim to be happy ALL  the time...that just isn't right. I knew a guy years ago who was always happy and smiling, always! If I told him horrible news, he'd reply by suggesting we go dancing or take a walk in the rain. That sounds good in theory, but when bad stuff happens, and it DOES happen, I need to allow myself to feel the pain. I can not force a smile or an emotion. To me that is not natural. There are days when I find it impossible to feel good when I know that others are suffering. I won't even sleep well because I lay awake thinking about it.

Many psychologists say that one way to become happier is to cultivate positive emotions, but again, can we be positive at ALL times? Maybe some can, for me it's not that easy, although sometimes I try, but I absolutely can not pretend to be positive or happy if I'm simply not feeling it. Is it a choice? Perhaps, but sometimes I dont want to choose it and that's ok. Society often dictates that if you get married you will find happiness, and then came the birth of online dating, which personally, I've never done, but that's just me.  What about the endless commercials of one pill or other promising to make it all ok? Let's not forget how that fancy new car will change your life!
Beware of all the false happiness..I don't allow myself to buy into that.

I prefer to be passionate and excited about everything and anything, and experience the ups and downs, rather than always knowing what to expect and simply being content.
What makes me happy are the moments. Right now writing on this blog and sharing it with you. The soft warm blanket that is covering me while I'm laying on my cozy couch. The hot coffee that I have beside me. Other moments of happiness for me are being with those that I love, a sincere hug, a thoughtful kiss, a glass of red wine, music, a good book, good company, deep conversations,  poetry, a beautiful sunset, sweet memories, ah, so many things..so many moments. Today, right now I am happy, and right now is all I that I know...


I haven’t the slightest interest in being happy. I prefer to live life passionately, which is dangerous because you never know what might happen next.
Paulo Coelho





No comments:

Post a Comment